<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Thursday, April 22, 2004

Samnine
Yes, I have a character going. That would be Samnine the Samurai. Doing pretty well, I'm past both the mines and the Sokoban. I have Excalibur (best pre-quest Samurai weapon), Grey Dragon Scale Mail, Speed Boots and a bag of holding. Things to collect before Hell:

Ring of Conflict
Levitation
Teleport Control

That's about it. Yes, this is doomed to a screwed up death.

OK, I guess I'm rusty at this game. I went down to try to complete the quest and got to the end level. I was trying to decide which amulet to wear, life saving or reflection. Reflection seemed like a good choice, as there were so many wands on the level. But the bad guy wields the Tsurgi, which has a 1 in X (20?) chance of instantly killing you. So I was wearing life savings. I kept getting nailed by wands of sleep, and I hadn't picked up sleep resistance yet. So I threw up my hands and went back into the main branch looking for an elf to eat for sleep resistance.

With a little thought, the proper thing to do is to go down to Medusa's Island and to try to pick up a shield of reflection.

I've managed to find ring of teleport control. I still need levitation and conflict.

Good Lord, Samurai suck at casting spells. Even with spellcaster's robes and nothing else, a level one spell still has a 25% failure rate. Either I need to find lots of scrolls of magic mapping, or I'm doing lots of exploring.

The big question is should I also do the Castle if I go all the way down to Medusa? And if yes, what about the first level of Hell?


So I go down to the Medusa level and kill Medusa. I get the shield of reflection, and head back up to do the quest. I kill the quest enemy, and get the Tsrugi. On my way back up I stop to snack on a piece of food. Except I was already satiated. No fucking warning, you choke on your food.

At least I had an amulet of life savings. So I'm still in the game. But I think I'm going to be missing that amulet (no doubt I'll be replacing it once I have my hands on the Wand of Wishing in the Castle).

Speaking of the castle, there are three genocides you want to pull out of your ass before you attempt the castle. In order, they are L (damn liches can curse you and destroy your armor, plus do other bad things), ; (instant drowning because you are standing too close to the moat sucks) and R (by now you have nice toys, no reason to lose them to rust monsters and disenchanters).

Cleared out the castle and the first level of Hell. Sat down to sort things out. This is one of those times when you really need to pause and think.

OK. I've got loads of potions. One of my policies is to hold off on all healing potions until I get to Hell. I take all of my healings, and dip them into a potion of speed. They are now diluted extra healings. I take my normal extra healings, and dip them in a fountain to dilute them. They now bundle with the former normal healings. I take this new batch and dip in a potion of boost energy. I now have a bunch of diluted full healings. Take natural full healings, dip to dilute, and I now have 21 diluted potions of full healing. Dip in holy water to bless. In theory this is 21 * 8 hitpoints added to my max. But by chance, full healing in this game is smokey. Why does that make a difference? Because sometimes blessed smokey potions contain djinnis, and hence wishes. So I actually end up with a 160HP boost, plus a free amulet of life savings.

So here I am: 391HP, +6 Tsurgi, -19 AC w/speed boots. I have rings of conflict, teleport control, slow digestion and levitation. I have a wand of death. I have a wand of wishing that I haven't used yet. I think I'm ready to go here. Get ready for either a tale of woe or a victory.


Well, I went down through Hell. Killed Vlad in one stroke and got the candlestick holder. Went to the bottom and found the vibrating square. But Samurai cannot use spells, so no magic mapping for Samnine. I had to explore the whole damn thing. Killed the Wiz, came back down to the square, candles, bell book.

Collected the amulet. Had a huge pain in the ass time climbing out, kept falling back in Hell. The Wiz kept showing up, double troubling, and stealing back the amulet. Argh! Had to kill him 12 times. Up through the dungeon. Onto the Elemental Planes.

Part two of why Samurai suck. Crystal balls don't seem to work for samurai. So off with the Amulet of Life Savings and you have to wear the Amulet of Yendor. Play hot or cold. Takes forever to navigate the planes. Finally get to the Astral Plane, which is too easy when you have 500 hitpoints and a handful of Amulets of Life Savings.

So Samnine has achieved demigodhood. Two down, a bunch to go...

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?