<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Wednesday, July 06, 2005

The one called Sly Bri pointed out that since I won with an Archeologist and a Caveman in older versions, the only truly unsolved classes for me are Priest, Healer and Tourist. So I fired up a priest.

Not too eventful. My starting spells were Detect Unseen and Identify, so no point in going with spellcasting armor, just bulk up. So play the early game as a fighter. I made it to the shop level in the mines, no magic lamps. But I was tough enough to do the Sokoban and get the amulet of reflection. Next step was to get the luckstone at the bottom of the mines and bless it. Managed to pull that off, this is as far as I've ever had a priest.

Sat on a throne and got some grey dragon scale mail. Right now I'm just bidding my time waiting for the quest. Since the quest toy sucks, it may make more sense to do the castle first. Wished will be spent on a bag of holding and speed boots.

OK, I got another wish and got the bag of holding. Then after some sacrficing I got Mjollnir. I was finally a high enough level to use the ID spell. Then I made a stupid mistake. I went on the quest. I was curious because I'd never been on the priest quest before. So I go in and face down the quest enemy. I'm going toe-to-toe because I have Mjollnir. A +0 Mjollnir, but Mjollnir nonetheless. I seem to have enough hit points, but bang-bang-bang, then I'm dead. I never used my brains and cast the extra healing spell that I learned. I was just too caught up in being on the priest quest the first time and I blew a game where I really should have won. Live and learn. Always do the castle before the quest unless you have some major firepower. With speed boots from a castle wish I would have been able to do the quest no problem.

On the other hand, I feel like I have a much better understanding of priests... pick a neutral and unless you have great spells to start, run this as a poor-man's knight at the start and be a fighter. Eventually get magic-friendly armor and move over to spells. Hope you get Mjollnir early.

OK, back to the grind...

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?